Saturday, June 10, 2017

Memphis KOA
We only did a short drive on Friday.  We had a reservation at Memphis KOA which is really in Marion, Arkansas.  I guess the highlight of the day was just after crossing the Mississippi River we crossed a bridge that was like riding a bucking horse.  We both got laughing so hard my eyes filled with tears to the point I could hardly see.  That bridge has some serious structural problems.  In fact, most of American roads and bridges have serious structural problems.  I am constantly having to tighten things on the trailer that shake loose.

We made a reservation for Friday night because things tend to fill up on weekends.  The park was very nice, as are most KOAs.  The problem with this one though is that it sits right next to I-55.
The roar wouldn't be louder if we were camped in the median.  It was hard to get to sleep with trucks roaring by all night and a train to boot, or should I say toot?.  Fortunately Darlie had some earplugs that helped some.

We didn't realize we were on central time until morning.   I was up an hour earlier than normal due to the early sunrise.  We decided to let the KOA cafe do the cooking this morning.  We ordered biscuits and sausage gravy.  It was very good but made different than what we are used too.   They put pieces of bacon in with the sausage.  It was good.

We were on the road before 9:00am.  We had a long day ahead of us, well for us at least.  We only drive 5 hours or so each day.  What's the hurry.  I chose a route up through the countryside of Missouri.  We hate interstates and avoid them when possible.

I got us into some pretty backwoods roads.  They were very curvy with lots of ups and downs.  I felt like I was on a roller coaster ride with a 30 foot travel trailer chasing me.  It was fun.  Some portions of the road looked like no one had been on them this year.  We didn't see a single car or house.  But what was puzzling though was we passed two baptist churches.   We wondered where the people lived.  We didn't see side roads or driveways for miles.  We got lost a couple of times but the Lord blessed us with places to turn around each time.  Something that was lacking in most places on this route.  I could see myself backing up for 5 or 10 miles easily.

We have been watching for wildlife along the way.  So far we have seen one live deer,  three dead deer, dead dog, a dead raccoon, a dead armadillo, two dead squirrels and a dozen or so live ones, a dead skunk, a dead turkey, a dead opossum, a dead rabbit and a dead cat.  The wildlife isn't doing too well.  Hope things look better in the mountains.

Hermann City Campground

We arrived in Hermann around 3:30pm.  It is a busy little place.  It reminds us of Hammondsport, NY with wineries and the village is made up of old historic buildings that have been restored.  They now house museums, gift shops and restaurants for the most part.
Hermann City Hall

We are staying in the Hermann City RV park.  It is very large with huge grassy areas.  The sights we are on are shaded with full hookups.  I have the feeling when the sun goes down this place will start to rock.  It looks like party central to me.  We will have to dig out the ear plugs again.  I could just blast Christian music over my outside speakers in retaliation.  But that might get us burnt out hahaha.
Seriously, the people here have been very friendly but they do enjoy the wineries.
Sleeping off mushroom ravioli 

I will update tomorrow.  We are going to the anniversary celebration of our dear friends, Russ and Sue who live nearby.  We will be celebrating at the Harvest Table restaurant.  We went there for dinner tonight so I would know where I was going tomorrow.

More absent mindedness.....I left my hitch wrench on the bumper of the pickup.  It was still sitting there when we got to the restaurant.  Lucky for me.  It is a specially made tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment