Monday, May 31, 2010

May 27, 2010

We took some back roads today just to see the countryside that tourists don’t see.  The secondary roads were pretty good although maximum speed was about 45 mph.  The scene changed drastically several times during the day.   At first we had rocks, canyons and sage brush.  Then it turned to more of that gravel pit look.  Just dirt and rocks.  I really don’t care for this part of the country.
The wind is fierce today.  It is not easy keeping the old bread truck on the road.  I have driven roads I would have never dreamed I would dare, though and do quite well.  Some places are especially hair raising in that there is a huge drop off with no shoulder or guardrail.  Your wheels are just inches from going off the pavement.  I go slow and I am getting used to it. 
We stopped today at Devil’s Canyon National Forest campground.  It is only $5 for seniors but they have no water or power.  In fact, there is no water available anywhere.  We are in the desert I guess.  I filled my tank this morning before leaving Mesa Verde.
One of the joys of RVing I have not written about is dumping your holding tanks.  This morning we stopped at the dump site and there was a long line of RVs waiting.  Someone came back and told us the dump was backed up and the “stuff” was running over.  There was a second dump site on up the road.  We set out for there.  As we drove away, we could see the bewildered campers who had the misfortune of overflowing the poop pit.  Not a nice site.
At the dump site they had fresh water for drinking and water to rinse out your sewer hose when you are done dumping.  I pulled up and a guy with a rental RV was filling his water tank with the poopy water hose.  Big signs say what the water is for.  I figured he couldn’t read English.  I kept my mouth shut and waited my turn patiently.
I like privacy when dumping my waste tanks.   If others are standing around waiting I have the same feeling you would have if there was one toilet in the middle of a field and there was a line waiting while you did your business.  
No one was there after the guy who couldn’t read pulled away.  Ah, Privacy.  I put on my rubber gloves and pulled out my big sewer hose.  I opened the poop pit cover and attached my hose.  The other end attaches to the MH.  First you open the valve for the black water.  This is the water with lumps in it.  It gushes out, gurgling and twisting the hose as it goes.  You have an inter fear that something will pop apart at this crucial moment.  Once you no longer detect lumpy water flowing from the MH, you close the black water valve and open the gray water valve.  Gray water is less lumpy water that consists of soap suds from showers and washing dishes.  The gray water flushes the sewer hose of any residue lumps as it flows out.  Once it is empty, you close the valve,  unhook the sewer pipe from the MH, then you use the water hose the guy who couldn’t read used to fill his water tank to wash out your sewer hose.  Then you pack everything away rinsing your gloves off with some bleach when you are done.  
Before I was completely finished with the job several other RVs pulled up and they were all talking about the misfortune of the guy at the other dump site.  And so it goes each morning at the dump station.
I hope this wind lets up tomorrow.  There is a ton of dust in the air too.  It irritates my eyes very bad.  We plan to head into Canyonlands National Park then on to Arches later.  Darlie needed some rest today.  She has not felt too well for a few days.  It is a different lifestyle.  She is still getting used to is as am I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment