Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 12, 2010

Oh what a day.  We got on the road at about 10 AM after doing some grocery shopping.  All was going well but when we stopped for fuel after about 200 miles the engine air quit working again.  I guess I will have to try to find another air man tomorrow.   We tried running the generator and the big unit on the roof but it just doesn't keep you cool in the cab with the sun shining in on you.  Darlie sat in the back to keep cool but I was roasting up front.  If this persists I will just turn this thing north and go to Canada.

I am only able to drive the old bread truck for about 6 hours.  By that time my shoulders are aching from fighting the wheel.  We passed two bread trucks on the highway today so we thought that was an oman to go ahead and name this thing the bread truck but if we keep having trouble with air I might change it to the sweat box.

We had planned to stop at a campground in Henderson, LA tonight.   After passing several campgrounds that sat in the middle of a former cow pasture with few trees, we decided to look for another state park.  We found one not far off our route and headed for it.  It wasn't long before I  thought I made a very bad mistake.  The road was narrow and very bumpy.  At times it was all I could do to keep it on my side of the road.  The state park was 11 miles off the highway but it seemed more like 22.  I figured we were probably the first ones to visit it since Lafayette.

Finally, at the end of the road we came upon another very lovely state park.  It is beautiful.  It is called Tickfaw State Park.  We are camped in the middle of a bayou with cypress trees all around.  The campground is beautifully maintained.  All the sites are paved and have water and 50/30/20 amp electric service.  And to my surprise, we have wifi service too!   We don't have a cellphone signal though.  Go figure.  There is also a laundry.

We unloaded the bikes and took a lengthy ride around the park.  We discovered the Grandma Cypress tree which is around 800 years old.   We also found a water park with fountains shooting up into the air for the kids to run through.  There is also a large playground adjacent to the water park.  Further up the road we came upon the camping cabins.  That is an understatement.  These were stilt houses of about 1000 square feet with air and satellite dish.  Each was painted a cheerful pastel color.  Behind the cabins the bayou came up to the back deck.  Signs warned not to feed the alligators.  I guess you wouldn't want to leave your steak unattended on the grill either.

There are nature trails, a nature center with displays, an RV campground with 30 sites that can handle any size RV.  There are 50 tent sites on a separate loop.   I think we will continue to look for state park campgrounds.  The prices are far below the commercial places and they have so much more to offer.

It looks like everyone brought their dogs.  I miss my Buddy.  I sure wish I had brought her along now.  She would probably be cramped though.

That's all for now.   Sign up as a follower and invite others to follow us along.  Leave us a comment.  It gets lonely out here ha ha ha.

8 comments:

  1. Pete, It sounds like you are just starting with that two week adjustment period of being on the road. As soon as you forget about that big soft couch back home the better you will feel. I would have someone check the main AC unit to see if that is working properly as well. Happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I am so happy you guys are having a great time!!! Love you guys so much and so happy to see you both doing this together! You deserve this so much for all you do!! Love you XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place looks beautiful. You may want to get a KOA map that shows where all the KOA's are. They are usually clean with amenities. No idea what the prices are, tho. Pray over the AC - Divine intervention goes a looooooong way!! Miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Pete (BreadMan) & Darlie!
    Looks like by the end of each day, things just seem to work out ok.
    Thanks for your blog and keeping the rest of us 'stationary' folks back here a bit desiring to be on a trip like you are on.
    When you get back, please bring a loaf of bread for us to munch on!
    Ha ha!
    Stay well, and enjoy God's creation each day!

    George

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you are both enjoying yourselves. Just remember you only have so much hair on your head so don't pull it all out on your first week of your trip. We love you guys, keep safe.
    elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear the air went out again. Your not messing around, already to La?, I think the sweat box is approiate, because I know if you had air or not you would be sweating going down that narrow road for 11 miles. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have tried to post comments but it doen't look they show up TEST TEST

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited to hear of your experiences and how great to see your pics, too. God bless you as you travel, and I know that you will be a blessing to others as well. Linda

    ReplyDelete