Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 26, 2010


Darlie’s relatives kept me awake for awhile last night.  I woke to what I thought was someone’s child hollering and screaming.  I got up and went out to the front of the MH.  All the windows were open as it was quite warm when we went to bed.  I sat on the sofa and listened to an Indian across the lake singing his chats, hoots and screams.  This went on for a few minutes around midnight.  Anyone who has spent time around a lake knows how sound carries over the water.  It was like they were out in my front yard.  Then again it might have been some of the drunks at the other end of the campground who were making all the noise.  I heard there was some people down there who needed to be quieted down.  

I discovered the Indians call the June full moon the strawberry moon.  That is because when the full moon appears in June the strawberries are ripe, plump and ready for picking.   Traditionally the picking is done by the moon light to honor the strawberry and assure a good crop for the next year.

There is an area across the lake that looks like a big campground.  I asked one of our neighbors if that is what it was.  He said it is the Indian Pow Wow grounds.  Seems my neighbor likes to tell big whoppers because my map says it is an AA campsite on the Indian reservation.  The Confederated Tribe and the Spokane tribe reservations are both dry.  

I will go down and reserve this site for a couple more nights.  This is so nice.  I could spend a couple of weeks here.  We have nice neighbors around us too.  Everyone is very friendly.  We rarely stay anywhere more than one night.  We like to be on the move all the time.  We would be unhappy staying in one place for more than a few days.
If I come back here I will bring a boat.  The walleye fishing is very good.  Everyone was up early and out on the lake.  It will be interesting to see how they do when they return.   Our neighbor, Bob, was out for awhile but he came back saying it was too windy for his inflatable dingy.  He has a small foldable outboard motor on it.  He can stow the boat and motor in one of the compartments under his MH.
It is another beautiful sunny day.  We will sit outside and read and take a walk later.  

I know everyone likes Darlie's photos so I put a bunch up for you without much commentary.  This sure is pretty country.

No comments:

Post a Comment