Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Morning in Spokane

It is difficult to get used to so much sunshine again.  And the temperatures have been near 90 degrees.  I plan to wear shorts for the first time since leaving Indiana a couple of months ago.  I just packed our jackets and rain gear away.  I don't think we will need them again on this trip.

We are here to have our starter switch  replaced AGAIN.  From what I read they have worked out the brake problems and the starter switch problems on the Workhorse chassis now.  It would be nice if they would pay me for the repairs I have had to make because of their defect.  I am outside the recall window.  There must be a place to complain.  I may have to look into that further when I get home.  In any case, we are hoping for at least one more start from the switch this morning so we can drive to the repair shop.

Our motor home is old but it is all ours.  We met people who have bought nice big new rigs but they can't afford to go out to dinner or take a fishing charter because they have high RV payments.  Why do people do that?  I think it is all image.  Impress the neighbors.  Big hat no cattle as they say in Texas.  I know these people could have bought something less and paid cash and enjoyed themselves on the road instead of having to pass up the things you are there for to begin with.  I have the feeling, the way our economy is going, that a lot of people are going to begin to learn to live within their means.

I didn't mention our trip back down the Cassier Highway in Canada.  As I mentioned in my last post, the Alaskan Highway through the Yukon was in much better shape than when we went up in June.  I actually got to enjoy some of the scenery this time instead of keeping my eyes glued to the road for holes, dips, dives, rocks and other assorted hazards.

The Cassier Highway is a more westerly route down through Canada.  It departs the Alaskan Highway near Watson Lake, Yukon.  From there it is 450 miles of very remote countryside to the Yellow Knife Highway (Rt 16) in British Columbia.

The northern half of the highway was fair to terrible.  It was like being back on the hellish hundred miles again.  The southern half of the Cassier is very good.  It is also very scenic.  The northern half, not so much.

Gas stations are few and very far between.  You have to fill up when you see it.  Many businesses along the Alaskan Highway and the Cassier are closed down.  Travel has been way down the past few years so I guess these places couldn't make it.  Another problem is these little gas stations are home operations.  They close when they feel like it.  You can't depend on them being open when you get there.  A fill up at the start of the highway and one somewhere in the middle will get you across this section.

We spent the night in an RV park in a place called Bell 2.  There is a Bell 1 but all that was there was a sign that said so.  When we left there in the morning we met an elderly man from Florida who was traveling alone.  He was very concerned having lost his wallet somewhere in the Yukon.  His credit cards, cash and ID were gone.  He did have one hundred dollars left but like he said, "A hundred dollars doesn't go very far in this country."

He had three quarters of a tank of gas left and was worried he wouldn't be able to make it to Smithers where he was having some money wired to him.  Smithers was about three hundred miles south.  He asked us if we would mind following him to Smithers.  He was fearful of being left stranded in this remote part of the world.  You only pass a car every 10 or 15 miles.

We agreed to follow him.  You could see his relief on his face.  We traveled along with him for most of the rest of the day.  We made it to Smithers.  His money was on the way.  He was very grateful for our help.  He said it sure took the fear out of the trip knowing we were right there behind him if something should happen.

That brings up another point.  If you have a very close friend or family member who would travel with you to Alaska and back, it would take some of the worry out of the trip.  You have someone to help you if you do encounter problems.  We don't tow a car and we were traveling alone so if I broke down or had a flat, I was at the mercy of passersby.

Would I make this trip again?  Probably not.  Am I glad I did?  Absolutely.  It was an experience of a lifetime.  Alaska is beautiful with adventure everywhere.  I will remember the Yukon for the hellish hundred miles.  I will remember British Columbia for all the black bears.  You practically had to shew them out of the road.  Watch for bear poop along the shoulder of the road.  It was everywhere.  Darlie passed time counting piles.  :-)  Buddy will miss growling at the bears too I am sure.  She rode up front all day watching for wildlife to growl at.

I'm off to the repair facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment