Sunday, August 8, 2010

Headed South

We know it is too soon to escape the heat but it is time to start south.  We will be stopping to visit our son on the way.  We should be home in a couple of weeks.  I got a call from my buddy, Tom.  He was wondering where we were.  I hadn't posted anything on here in a few days.  It is nice to be missed.  We miss everyone too.

Today we drove through the central part of Pennsylvania from north to south.  The hills and valleys were very green.  Picturesque farms lie along valley streams.  Cornfields stretch across hillsides.  Amish, in their horse and buggies, trot along the roadside.   Some of the steep mountain climbs brought back memories of the mighty Rockies.  I will never forget the thrill and the sheer terror of some of those roads.

As we neared Washington, DC the traffic got heavy.  We thought making the trip on Sunday would help us avoid some of the traffic in the capital area.  We traveled more than thirty miles starting and stopping four and five lanes wide.  It made Darlie so nervous she went to lie down until we were clear of the area.
It was the worst traffic we have face on the entire trip.

There are very few campgrounds in this area.  We called some and found them to be full.  We ended up stopping for gas at a Flying J.  There were dozens of RVs parked in the lot.  Everyone had the same problem.  No place to stay.  We are camped in the lot with everyone else.  The generator is running so Darlie can have the air on.  I hate the noise but this is a noisy place anyhow.

I did pay for internet through Flying J.  They offer a day's service for $4.79.  A bit pricey but I haven't been able to get online for several days.  It was worth the price to catch up on everything.

I can't find Darlie's camera so I can't download the photos she took today.  Maybe in the morning I will have time to add some here before we hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment