Thursday, June 23, 2011

Rain and Cold!

It has been raining ever since we got to Alaska.  The locals say it is unusual.  I wouldn't know it to watch them though.  They are out in it walking around like it is a sunny day.  They are very tolerant of crappy weather.  I suppose it feels like a nice warm summer rain to them but to us it is freezing.  The temperature is about 50 and the rain is steady.

There are more motorcycles on the road up here than you see in Florida.  Packs of them pass us by.   They don't seem to mind the rain and cold.  Then there are those people in spandex, riding bicycles with packs on the front forks and saddle bags on the back.  They have back packs, helmets and raincoats peddling away like it is really fun.  I can't imagine.   We talked to two guys on bikes who had ridden all the way up from Vancouver, BC.  They said it was over 2500 km or over 1500 miles to the rest of us.

Then there is the Alaskan sense of humor.  They call tourist terrorists because we are so demanding.  We are spoiled in the lower 48 where we can get what we want now or quicker.  I have taken note of this and have tried to be extra patient when dealing with them.  I often think of the saying in the Caribbean, "Come soon." which translates, "I will be there when I am d--n good and ready."

I stopped into a Napa auto parts store.  Next to the counter was a huge sign that said,"We trapped the last shoplifter in 1998."  Below the sign was a huge bear trap with a boot and a leg bone caught in it.  Impressive.  I get the message.

The sun is actually supposed to come out tomorrow and we should have a high in the 70s.  It will be a wonderful thing.  The locals will probably be complaining about the heat wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment