Tuesday, June 29, 2010

June 28, 2010

I called my daughter, Tina, who lives in Baker City, OR.  Baker City is in eastern Oregon.   I thought that being so close I would see if they would be home so we could stop by and say hello.  We may never get out this way again.  It would be nice to see where she lives and hunts.  (she shoots big elk and bears etc)
With the holiday weekend coming up I wasn’t sure they would be home as many people in these parts seem to head for the hills every weekend.  She said they didn’t have any plans.  There are a couple of campgrounds near her town.  
The drive down there took us through open farmland.  We recognized potatoes, corn and wheat growing in fields along the way.  Dozens of dust devils rose over the plowed fields.  They shot up like geysers carrying dust hundreds of feet into the air.  It was a very strange sight.

The further south we went the more bleak the landscape became.  It started to remind me of New Mexico.  The land was stark in appearance.  Colors were bland.  Even the rock formations were uninteresting.  I thought it was a great place to be from.  It is the only part of Washington that is not a beautiful gem.
Darlie spotted a Pizza Hut in Hermiston, OR.  She was hungry for pizza all of a sudden.  We stopped.  While she was in ordering a Supreme, I was out in the MH searching for a wireless connection.
I was able to connect to the Oxford Inn wireless.  I posted a couple of blogs I had written a few days ago along with a few photos my photographer took.  
Darlie soon popped in with the pizza.  I wasn’t hungry when she left but I couldn’t resist the alluring smell rising from the box.  I devoured three pieces.  Shamefully.
We found an RV park a short distance down the road.  It is a very well kept place and very reasonable.  Most of the sites are filled with permanent residents.  We are the only transients in the park.  It is a bit noisy here with trucks passing by and a train blowing its horn every so often.  Maybe that is why travelers avoid it.   
It was warm outside so Darlie fired up the air conditioner.  We will sit inside and relax for the evening.  It was a long day on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment