Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I bought a Verizon MiFi before leaving on this trip.  I wanted to have an internet connection everywhere we went instead of hunting around for a network we could join.  I have had internet service that I would not have had without it but it leaves much to be desired.  
The connection speed is more like dialup.  Some pages load fairly quickly but most you sit and wait for.  The thing is temperamental.  For no reason is ceases to work.  This is very aggravating when you are working on a blog and it craps out.  You lose all your work.  I had just finished a blog post and clicked “post” when it took a dump on me.  I lost all I wrote.  
So just write it again.  Anyone who has written very much knows it never comes out very well the second time.  Now I am using my word processing program on my computer to write.  I will copy and paste it from here to the blog.  At least I will have a copy if it doesn’t post.  I know the second time around won’t be as good, but here goes.
The campground is a buzz with people packing up to leave.  All weekend there has been an endless parade of kids on bikes zooming by on the street, laughing and calling to one another.  Others in swimsuits and towels make the trek to and from the pool. 
Soon it will be quiet here.  The weekend campers will be gone.  The native residents, squirrels, rabbits and deer, will slowly reappear from hiding to reclaim their homeland.  We count it a privilege to be able to share their home with them.
Every time we spend a weekend like this a question always comes up: “Why didn’t we do this with the kids?”  There are always things in life you wish you got to do over.  Taking the kids camping is one of those things for us.  They would have loved it.  They are all outdoorsmen.  We would have had many visits from the park rangers though.  The kids would have been trying to build tree houses, campfires and terrorize the wildlife.
Our idea of camping back then was sitting in a wet tent covered with sand and grit trying to cook dinner on a campfire while fighting off ravenous bugs.  Oh, there are those who are doing just that.  My hat is off to them.  We have watched whole families sitting at a picnic table in the pouring rain eating breakfast!  They are either nuts or really like getting as close to nature as possible.
Had we known, however, that we could have bought a camper trailer for a very reasonable price and had all the comforts of home in miniature we would have been weekend campers long ago. 
Today companies such as Camper’s World rents RVs at reasonable rates so anyone can try the RV lifestyle for the price of a nice motel.  If the possibility has crossed your mind but for whatever reason you have put it off, give camping a try.  You may find a whole new way of relaxing while your kids have new adventures with new friends.  I don’t think you will hear those dreaded words, “I’m bored!”


I can’t end this post without saying thank you to all who have served and all who have died in the service of their country.  Memorial Day is your day.  It is more to you than just a holiday weekend to be enjoyed with friends and family.  For many of you it is a reminder of buddies that didn’t make it home from some far off land. Still others left parts of themselves in those hell holes even though they were lucky enough to make it home.  Some served and never had to face the hell of warfare but their service is nonetheless honorable.  The were willing to go if called.  My prayer for you today is for the Lord to overshadow you with His comfort and peace.  God bless you one and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment