Saturday, July 17, 2010

Haircut Day July 17, 2010

I didn't tell you about my last haircut.  It was a couple of months ago in Wichita Falls, TX.  A half crazed Comanche, using a stone tomahawk, scalped me so badly I didn't think my hair would grow out all summer.  Today, I noticed it was getting a bit long so it was time to try again.

I stopped at a Walmart store cause I know they have beauty salons there.  I figured on a quick in and out haircut.  I was at the shop when it opened.  The lady, a blond, asked me how I wanted it.  I told her to trim it up.  While she cut away, she told me how life for a woman in rural Wyoming is not good.  She said women do all the work.  I asked what the men did.  She said a man in Wyoming only needs to know how to do three things: drink, spit and ride.  I hadn't heard that one before.  She said it is a very common saying in and around Cody.

She whacked away while gushing with talk. After a few minutes she asked me if it was short enough.  Without my glasses on, fearing it was already too short, I told her it was fine.

When I got back to the MH, Darlie said it was a mess.  She said it looked like she used a rabid beaver to chew it off.  There were huge gouges all over.  It really looks pretty bad.  I will have to wear my hat for a couple of weeks.

We headed off for Buffalo, WY and the Bighorn Mountain Range.  We headed up Shell Creek Canyon on Rt 14.  The valley is brown and dry, typical desert.  Shell Creek creates a green riparian zone that support many kinds of wildlife.  Along the canyon wall you can see a trail that is still used today to drive cattle from their winter range in the valley to the green mountain tops for summer grazing.



We stopped at Shell Creek Falls.  The state has constructed overlook platforms and walkways all along the falls area.  Shell Creek Falls is about 80 to 90 feet tall.  Several smaller falls below add to the roar heard from above.  It is a very beautiful place.

The mountain top was rolling green hills.  So different from the valley below.  Cattle grazed on hillsides. Cowboys, dressed like out of a western, were along side the road checking their gear preparing for the day's work.

Flocks of sheep crossed the road stopping traffic, seemingly unaware of the cars they had inconvenienced.  We rounded a bend and found a young bull moose quenching his thirst in a ditch by the road.  We stopped for photos.  He never looked up or stopped slurping up the water that had collected in a rut.

The top of the Bighorn Mountains is a mecca for ATVs and four wheel drive vehicles.  We passed several lodges cater to them.  Dozens of muddy trucks and ATVs were parked all higgledy piggledy around the parking lots.

Descending the mountain required low gear most of the way.  It was very steep and winding for ten miles.  You could look down and see the road winding around, back and forth around the mountain below.  There were many turnouts for taking photos and allowing faster moving vehicles a chance to get by.  I seldom use my brakes going down long descents.  It is very easy to overheat them and be in a very dangerous situation.  In Yellowstone I did overheat them one time.  I was following another camper who was going much slower than necessary even in low gear.  I had to constantly brake to keep from running in to him.  Before long I noticed my brake peddle going to the floor before I felt it braking.  I found the first pullout and sat until they cooled.  It doesn't take all that much to overheat them with a large heavy vehicle.

We are camped at Indian Campground in Buffalo.  The place was a bit expensive at $40.00.  It is very nicely shaded with large trees.  They have a clean modern laundry which was the reason for our visit here.  This is the first time we have been connected to electricity since Philipsburg, MT over two weeks ago.  We love to dry camp in the forest.  From here on east we will probably have to use more commercial campgrounds.  There is not as much National Forest land or many state parks.  On top of that it is hot down here.  Darlie wants to run the generator all night in the dry camps so she can have A/C.  I can't sleep with the racket it makes.   I will spend a couple of bucks to keep her cool though I am going to miss the wild places.

We will continue east now stopping at points of interest along the way.   We already miss the Rockies with their snowcapped peaks and cool temperatures.  We talked with a couple this morning returning from Alaska.   They said it rained most of the time up there but they loved the trip.  Maybe next year we will head that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment